Canadian Infertility Awareness and How Our Practitioners Can Support You
It’s Canadian Infertility Awareness Week, so we wanted to share the schedule of events (online & in person) that Fertility Matters Canada is hosting. As Canada’s fertility resource, Fertility Matters provides support, awareness, information and education and helps in promoting equal access to fertility treatments.
Fertility concerns can cause a host of concerns that can weigh heavily on a woman, her partner, her intimate relationship as well as her relationships with her family, friends and co-workers. It can impact all areas of her life and affect her partner’s as well often in ways that can go unrecognized.
In support of Canadian Infertility Awareness Week, we wanted to shed so-e light on infertility, as well as ways that our Wellness Practitioners, here at Clarington’s Wellness Path, can help support you reach you reach your reproductive health goals.
Conceiving naturally is possible for many. For others, it requires support from holistic practitioners and medical professionals. Whether you have been diagnosed with a fertility issue or not there are numerous ways to increase your chances of getting pregnant, naturally.
- For women, begin trying to have children before the age of 35.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get regular exercise.
- Do not smoke.
- Drink fewer alcoholic beverages.
- Be proactive and learn ways to help you deal with stress.
- Alternative therapies, such as acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine, yoga and meditation and massage, can help to increase the chances of getting pregnant by helping to reduce your stress, and promote hormonal balance.
When does fertility become a concern?
Infertility can be defined as:
- the inability to conceive after having regular unprotected sex, after one year for women who are under 35 years old and after 6 months for women over 35 years old.
- the inability to contribute biologically to a conception or
- the inability to carry a pregnancy to a live birth
If you are experiencing difficulties conceiving, the following are considerations:
- better timing of sexual intercourse
- ensuring that hormone levels are in balance
- surgery may be required to repair reproductive organs
As with any health concern, consult with a qualified medical practitioner to discuss your options and to address any underlying medical condition that may exist.
Source: Government of Canada
Did you know?
Roughly 16% (or 1 in 6) couples in Canada experience infertility. This number has doubled since the 1980s.
What are the causes of infertility?
Infertility is both a male and a female concern. It can be the result of a female factor, a male factor, or a combination of both.
- 30% of the time, the cause is in men
- 40% of the time, the cause is in women
- 20% of the time, the cause is a mix of both male and female factors
- 10% of the time, no explanation can be determined for the cause
Source: Government of Canada
How we can help
Our Wellness Path practitioners can help support you in reaching your reproductive health goals. Our service modalities that can assist you on your journey include:
- Acupuncture and TCM,
- Holistic nutrition,
- Regular and specialized yoga and meditation classes and programs and
- Emotional health services including
- Massage with our Registered Massage Therapists
- Holistic Spa services to support your self-care strategies
- Infrared Sauna and more…
We are here to support your reproductive health goals, naturally and can also provide supplemental support for those utilizing fertility treatments. To request a consult with our Acupuncturist & TCM Practitioner or Holistic Nutritionist or to book an appointment with one of our practitioners call 905-623-9232.
Remember, check out the online and in-person events at the Canadian Infertility Awareness Week April 23-29, 2018.
#1in6, #wellnesspath, #infertility, #fertilitymatters